Dear Asa Families,
I am thrilled to write this welcome back letter as we wrap up our summer break and begin the journey of the 2015-2016 school year here at Asa Adams! On August 31st, we will open our doors to approximately 287 students. This time of year is always such an exciting time. The efforts of our team have been extraordinary this summer. Our teachers and staff have been gearing up to offer a challenging and vigorous curriculum that will stretch our students to become stronger learners. I’m looking forward to seeing our students enter our building with the enthusiasm, excitement and the eagerness for learning that a new school year brings. I’m very proud of our students and staff and I know that while working together over the 2015-2016 school year, great accomplishments are sure to happen!
Please welcome the following new teachers and staff to our school community: Mrs. Jacalyn Degan-grade 1; Mrs. Angela McLaughlin- grade 2; Angela Bowen- Spanish Teacher; Jae Hubbard- French Teacher; Joe Mason- custodial service; and Pam Forbes, Rachel Ringuette, Abigail Hayden, Kasey M. Melrose -Special Education program. Our new staff members will make a great addition to our already strong professional staff – welcome aboard! Ms. Cavazos, who previously taught kindergarten, will be shifting to the second grade team, Mrs. Bayer is moving from 5th grade to teach 4th grade and Ms. Fagan will be teaching kindergarten not 3rd grade this year. I wish a fond farewell to all the staff who have recently departed, and extend a wholehearted warm welcome to our latest additions!
Building and Technology Improvements
Our custodians have worked diligently to make our building shine this summer. I am impressed with their unwavering efforts to prepare our school for opening day. We have encountered some spectacular and long awaited improvements at Asa C. Adams this summer. Our biggest facility upgrade is the newly completed tiling project that now casts a bright, clean and vibrant appearance throughout the school. Three teachers will find wall mounted projectors have been installed in their classrooms over the summer, which accomplishes our goal for every classroom teacher to have a projector. We are also anticipating the installation of Apple TVs in each of our classrooms soon. I am happy to say that this has been a productive summer!! A special thank you goes out to our custodial staff for keeping things moving rapidly as these accomplishments wouldn’t have been completed in time for the start of school without their persistence!
Beginning of the Year Kindergarten Schedule
Please remember that all incoming kindergarten students will attend a shortened school day for the first two weeks (August 31st thru September 11). During this time, kindergartners will begin their day at 8:30 and end at 12:45, lunch will be served. Monday, September 14th will be the first full day of school for kindergartners.
Please read the following important reminders that will help our school year start off safely and smoothly.
Arrival and Dismissal Times
- We expect our students to arrive to school between 8:20 and 8:30 a.m. (unless they are participating in the Early Breakfast Program)
- The school day will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. and the school doors will be locked at this time. Students arriving after 8:30 a.m. will be marked tardy and must stop at the office for a pass from the school secretary.
- Dismissal for walkers, parent pick-ups and bikers will be at 3:00 p.m. The doors will remain locked until 3:00 p.m.
- Students who ride the bus home will begin boarding the buses at 3:05 p.m.
- Our Pre K morning session will begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 11:00 a.m. The afternoon session will begin at 12:30 p.m. and end at 3:00 p.m.
- Our doors open for the Early Breakfast Program at 7:45 a.m. Students must not arrive to school before 7:45 a.m. as the doors are locked and there is no supervision before that time.
Pick Up & Drop Off
- Students must go to the gym/cafeteria upon arrival and remain there until the bell rings at 8:30.
- If you would like to wait with your student until the bell rings, feel free to do so under the carport or on the playground.
- Parents entering the building to drop off or pick up their children are required to go directly to the gymnasium to eliminate hallway congestion. Also, in an increased effort to reduce congestion in the gymnasium, we will be asking parents to drop students off at the gym doors.
- Please do not linger in the hallways outside of the gym area during arrival or dismissal times.
- Please do not escort your child to the classroom upon arrival.
- Parents who drop students off from the parking lot must use the “drop off” area in front of the creative playground. Please do not drive up to the front of the building to drop students off.
- All visitors are required to stop at the office window to sign in and out and are required to wear a visitor’s tag during school hours. (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- If you are interested in meeting with a teacher, please communicate with the teacher in advance.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns. Enjoy the last few days of summer!
Darcie Fournier – Principal